With over 20 years’ experience in many aspects of law and litigation

01920 481 499

Contact Us

Widbury Barn, Widbury Hill, Ware

Hertfordshire SG12 7QE

!!  Driving in Spain  !!

If you live in Spain and have a valid UK driving licence, this will be no longer be recognised for driving in Spain after the 30 June 2021.

If you wish to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one, the process to follow depends on whether you registered your intention to exchange with the Spanish Traffic Authority (DGT) before 30 December 2020.

If you registered with the Spanish Traffic Authority (DGT) before 30 December 2020

If you were resident in Spain before 1 January 2021 and registered with the DGT before 30 December 2020, you should request an appointment with the DGT to exchange your UK licence by 31 December 2021.

To exchange your licence you will need:

  1. Proof you are registered as a resident in Spain (eg. TIE – Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero; green EU residence certificate)
  2. Your UK licence

Read DGT’s guidance on Licence Exchange hereGUIDANCE

The DGT will exchange your UK licence for a temporary driving permit (‘autorización temporal para conducir’) until your Spanish licence is processed. This document is valid in Spain only.

If you did not register with DGT before 30 December 2020

If you did not register with DGT before 30 December 2020 and wish to exchange your UK driving licence, you should follow the DGT process for non-EU nationals. This includes taking a driving test.

The UK government is in discussion with the Spanish government on future driving licence exchange without the need for a practical test.

Your valid UK licence will continue to be recognised in Spain until 30 June 2021.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

Request Call Back

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Widbury Barns, Widbury Hill, Ware, Hertfordshire, SG12 7QE